05 June 2009

So, I checked out this International Gem and Jewelry Show that is/was at the state fairgrounds this weekend. I had no idea what to really expect going into it, other than:

1. It might be super-tacky
2. It might be a great resource for loose stones/beads
3. It might be a waste of $7 and time

I found out:

1. It was full of middle aged and older ladies
2. Mom said it felt like Vegas
3. I have ridiculously expensive taste in beads - one strand I looked at was $150 (at 50% off, yeah.)
4. There is a great local resource for cabochons and unusual stones - bought a great piece of rutilated quartz...but I'll get to that in a bit.
5. There are a kajillion beads out there. Seriously.

So, overall it was worth going. I'm currently in the process of designing a pendant around this piece of rutilated quartz. I actually think I might do a sterling/14K yellow gold combination, since the rutiles have a slight golden color.

I feel like I want to do some one of a kind pieces for a while. Doing multiples is challenging and good practice of specific skills, but it doesn't seem to flex my design muscles enough. I feel like people appreciate unique jewelry pieces, too - at least I do.

I've added another deadline besides the Fall art crawl, which is good. I need to have deadlines otherwise I feel like I'll never get anything finished. A friend and fellow artist wants to have a jewelry party with my stuff in the Fall. It should be fun and hopefully I'll have things that will interest the people. Wine and excellent food will be involved, so no matter what it'll be a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment