05 April 2009

Weekend of ruined projects...it got better!

I had a bunch of days in a row where one thing would work, and the next step went horribly wrong. This was quite annoying. Things were melted, solder went everywhere it wasn't supposed to, and I learned that the purple 2-part silicone mold putty from Rio doesn't make great molds. Good thing I bought some green Castaldo putty. I now have three molds that are ready to use!

As a side note, for some reason I am better at mixing the stuff at home than I am at work. I'm thinking it may be the temperature difference, or maybe it's just a matter of having more practice. Either way, I'm very glad to not be screwing up that end of things.

Only 19 days until I have to be ready to display, speaking of which...don't have a display figured out. I guess I'm winging that on the last week. I'm surprisingly not stressed, and have all of my lower end beadwork/enamel pieces finished. I found three enamel panels from school while cleaning and organizing the studio, and figured they were worth putting out there. I'm hoping that the beaded pieces will sell and help me fund the metalsmithing. I really would rather put my focus on metalsmithing, however the beading was kind of a nice relaxing activity. Time will tell. Here are a couple pictures of the enamel and beadwork necklaces:


Vitreous enamel on pierced copper, sterling silver findings, vintage German glass beads, amazonite & apatite

Agate, glass & hematite

No comments:

Post a Comment