29 January 2009

Something New...

I'm starting this blog to follow my works in progress, sort of a diary to shadow my creations. I'm sure this blog will evolve as I use it.

Presently I am preparing for the St. Paul Art Crawl, which is coming up in April. I hope to get some good local exposure, and if I'm lucky some sales.

I have a few series of jewelry in progress, eventually they will have names. This week I have been working on some sterling silver fabricated pendants which will be set with semi-precious gemstones. I've had quite a bit of success in getting these together - of course now that I've said that, something will go wrong. The design is based on a terribly rough doodle I did a year ago, and is turning out even better than I imagined. Below is an in progress shot of some of the components.

These five will become pendants, I will also be making earrings and possibly bracelets & rings. I had forgotten how fun hollow construction was, it's been a couple of years since I've done any.

Before this past Christmas I finished a couple of pieces - a ring for myself and a pendant for a friend's sister. I'm hoping to expand on both designs.


It's a bit scuffed up since I've been wearing it, but the groove is developing a great patina. Top stone is a created Padparadscha Sapphire.

Each side has three flush-set garnets.

This will be the only one of its kind, I am going to experiment with a similar design but not copy this one. I'd like to keep it so my friend's sister has something original and unique. The stones are both London Blue Topaz.

It's pretty amazing to see how my skills have developed in the two years since graduating. Stone setting was next to impossible in school, now it's not so daunting.

2 comments:

  1. Kathlyn - I love all your work, but that necklace is totally something I would make! And London Blue Topaz is one of my most favorite stones. I am jealous of all your mad skills. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's pretty cool! I wish you lived closer...
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete